Date:      Mon, 11 May 2020 14:41:57 -0500
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        danfe@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: releng/11.4 branch, 11.4-BETA1 builds and 11.4-RELEASE schedule reminder

Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:34:40PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 07:34:05AM +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > I recall Scott Bennett (CC'ed) had mentioned* on -x11 list that there
> > > were some "kernel memory management bugs that people began complaining
> > > about on the mailing lists within the first few days.  Now the project
> > > is planning 11.4 without ever having fixed the bugs."

     Yes, I did.  The bugs first caused problems and were noticed right
away after 11.2 was released.

> > > Just wondering if re@ is aware of that and has a course of action.
> >
> > This is the first I am personally becoming aware of this.  Is there
> > a PR?
>
> I'm not aware of the one, perhaps Scott could provide more details?

     Yes, I can.  Do you want them on this list?  Or somewhere else?
When I looked for a PR, I couldn't find one either.  I had assumed that
multiple PRs had been filed for the various problems back when 11.2 came
out, but apparently that wasn't done.  My system is currently running
without xorg due to a GPU crash in gpu-firmware-kmod, combined with an
inappropriate response by drm-fbsd11.2-kmod (/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko
does a BIOS reset in an attempt to do a hard reboot), so I doubt that I
can file a PR.  Another poster offered to file PRs for me in the interim,
and I sent him a description of the x11 problems, but I didn't hear back
from him.  I was waiting to send descriptions of the memory management
problems until the first two x11 PRs had been filed.

> > It seems the correct team (graphics) is already somewhat in the loop.
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
> I actually doubt both of these assessments are true.  The fact that I've
> seen it mentioned on the -x11@ list does not lead to them, IMHO.

     That is correct.  They afflict systems running FreeBSD 11.2 to the
present of 11.  I am now running stable/11 at

FreeBSD hellas 11.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 11.4-PRERELEASE #24 r360432: Tue Apr 28 18:48:15 CDT 2020     bennett@hellas:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/hellas  amd64

and the problems are still present.  Everything in 11 from 11.2 on is
unsuitable for use on a production system because it has to be rebooted
frequently in order to keep it usable.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *