Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 1995 16:41:43 MST
From:      steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot install problem (2nd try)

	I sent this once before, but appearently it was eaten while the
	mailing list was down..

On Jan 4, 19:08, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
} Subject: Re: Boot install problems
>> > 	A friend of mine has gone through the install on a < 1GB drive, and
>> > 	all this stuff just worked for him, so I'm thinking it has something
>> > 	to do with the fact the partion layout stuff just doesn't work on
>> > 	a hd that is too big.  Has anyone that is using a > 1GB disk
>> > 	gotten this multiboot thingy to work?
>>
>> You can enable the translation, just install DOS first, run the supplied
>> pfdisk utility to verify the translation scheme that DOS is using, then
>> install FreeBSD and use the (G)eometry option to specify this translated
>> geometry.  Piece of cake..
}-- End of excerpt from "Jordan K. Hubbard"

	After using dos's FDISK first, I was able to get the freebsd
	fdisk part of the install to correctly work on my first disk..
	Now I have a boot menu, and selecting freebsd correctly boots
	freebsd.  Unfortunately, it is the ONLY menu option.  I doesn't
	give me the option to boot the second disk (the one with dos on it).
	While messing with this problem, I discovered that if you hit F5
	anyway, it will still try to boot drive 2.  Anyway, when it does
	try to boot drive 2, it either gives the freebsd prompt
	where you type sd(0,a)/kernel, or it gives me the DOS error
	"Not a system disk or disk error ...."  The second disk is
	completely dedicated to DOS, and it is a little over 200meg in
	size.  Anyway, I've tried several different combinations, including
	refdisking the dos disk and installing the boot menu on the second
	disk as well.  Nothing works, I still get one of the two errors
	I explained above.  Am I missing something?

	BTW, I would put the first problem I had into a FAQ.  The instructions
	say to make sure that the geometry's for dos and freebsd agree, but
	it doesn't say you should use dos' fdisk to set the geometry in
	the first place.

	Any help appreciated..

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen        | Khoral Research Inc.
steve@khoros.unm.edu    | 6001 Indian School, Suite 200
(505) 837-6500          | Albuquerque, NM 87110
This Space for Rent.	| URL: http://www.khoros.unm.edu