Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:55:33 -0600
From:      Randy Kunkee <randy@randallkunkee.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   running securelevel 2 and X

I just upgraded to 4.5-stable and it reset my securelevel to 2 and
enabled.  Of course, X would not come up, x86OpenConsole failed with
this KDENABIO error.  The documentation I found on this suggests two
solutions, both of which advise using XDM.  First, running XDM from
/etc/ttys, did not work, producing the same error.  The second one,
running as a full daemon from /usr/local/etc/rc.d does work, as long as
I add a short sleep to give XDM time to start before securelevel is
changed by init after finishing the startup scripts.  The downside of
this is that if I ever abort XDM for some reason, I won't be able to
restart it, nor will I be able to start X directly (and playing with
XDM is enough fun in itself anyway).

Perhaps I have a conflict of interest.  I want to run X and be secure.
Is running X such a big gaping security hole that I'm left with my
current solution (to restart X, I must reboot!)?  Granted this shouldn't
happen very often, so perhaps that's the answer: don't kill XDM.  Is
there no reasonable change that could be made to the OS to grant access
to let the X server do its thing (ie. allow running startx) without
disarming the securelevel feature completely?

Randy