Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 08:45:48 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

  > George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:
  >
  > > I had the device working on a Compaq under 4.2, so the card is only kno
 wn
  > > good in other hardware.
  >
  >      Unfortunately, each laptop is different, and the reason why you
  > can't get it to work in the Dell is probably laptop/FreeBSD-specific.

I am learning this the hard way!

  > > dmesg and kernel config attached...
  >      [ ... ]
  > > pcic0: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0x3e0-0x3e1 irq 10 on isa0
  > > pcic0: management irq 13
  >
  >      Unfortunately, the above IRQs have got to match, in order for the
  > drivers to work (but there's another problem -- see below).

Noted. At the level of trivial debug, if somebody sees this, its a pretty
big clue things aren't going to work.

  >      Well, let's see what you have:
  >
  > IRQ 0: (reserved, can't use) system timer
  > IRQ 1: (reserved, can't use) atkbd0 <AT keyboard>
  > IRQ 2: daisy-chain to IRQ 9
  > IRQ 3: pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x0448)
  >        (This is an AT&T LT Winmodem 56K)
  > IRQ 4: sio0 (com1)
  > IRQ 5:

Took it, applied in CONFIG file, pcic now happy but...

  > IRQ 6: (reserved, can't use) floppy disk
  > IRQ 7: ppc0 <Parallel port>
  > IRQ 8: (reserved, can't use) RTC
  > IRQ 9:

Can I use this for daughter cards in the slot as their IRQ to probe on?

  > IRQ 10: pci1 <ATI Mobility-1 graphics accelerator>,
  >         pcic-pci0 <TI PCI-1410 PCI-CardBus Bridge>,
  >         pcic0 <VLSI 82C146>,
  >         pcm0 <Crystal Semiconductor CS4281>,
  >         xl0 <3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL>
  > IRQ 11: uhci0 <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller>

I've been recommended to try and disable this, to free it up for cards. Or,
I guess, to assign to pcic and leave irq 5 Free for daughter cards to use.

Thats fine for *me* because I don't use USB. But for others, it might be
problematic.

  > IRQ 12: psm0 <PS/2 Mouse>
  > IRQ 13: (reserved, can't use) FPU
  > IRQ 14: ata0 (hard disk)
  > IRQ 15: ata1

Do I have an ATA1 I wonder. Can I disable it? Why would a laptop depend on
using the alternate chain? It could be for the non-attached/removable CD
player of course. (DELL do a carrier tray for a cable-attached floppy or
CD. I will reboot with one attached and see what it does)

  > Urg -- there's a lot of junk on IRQ10.  IRQ 5 and 9 are unused, and IRQ
  > 15 might be unused (I don't see a CDROM or additional hard disk
  > connected to it), if you got rid of the ata1 device.

I'll try that in the various mixes of changes.

Many thanks for the information. Very helpfuL!

cheers
	-George

George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064