Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:31:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        matthew zeier <matthew@intelenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANs for FreeBSD ?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, matthew zeier wrote:

> Has anyone worked with FreeBSD in a SAN ?
>
> I'm trying to track down what sort of fibre channel adapters I might be
> able to use.

Yes.

The only supported adapters at this time are those that use the Qlogic 2100
and Qlogic 2200 chipsets. I have on my list to support the LSI Logic FC909 set
sometime soon.

Full fabric support is available (in fact is default as of 4.1)- 2200 chipsets
come up as a public loop and 2100s as a Private loop that will work on fabrics
with switches that do aliasing. Target mode also works. See the isp(4) man
page for more details of support.

This is all with class 3 frames. There ways to tweak class 2 frames, but some
programming knowledge will be necsessary for that.

The switches known to work best are Brocade Silkworm II and Ancor SA-8.

There is no support at this time for FC-IP.

-matt