Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:16:30 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        s2209866@cse.unsw.edu.au
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find the bandwidth between two machines under freeBSD?

Daniel Wong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So if I need to code some traffic control algorithm under the IP layer in
> the kernel, how do I determine how fast a particular interface goes. ie how
> much bandwidth the interface has?? Also, what unit will this value be in?? I
> was considering using MTU in the ifnet struct, but not sure how to use this,
> and how it can be calculated along with the member baudspeed.

I faced exactly this problem.

if you have a stabdard inerface (e.g. ethernet)
then you can actually ask it, but for serial
interfaces of various kinds the best you can do is try keep a
record of the highest bandwidth seen on the device in the past.

> Regards and Thanks
> Dan

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org