Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:08:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Oscar Urquidy <osc20@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between freebsd & linux

--- "Benjamin M. Manes" <maneben@charlie.cns.iit.edu> wrote:

> Linux is
> considerd better as a personal desktop system for
> x86, while many say
> FreeBSD is far superior then Linux as a server.
> Various reasons.

Hi.
I'm a begginer to FreeBSD and Unix (sounds like a tutorial) and i've
used Windows for a while. For school reasons i started looking for
FreeBSD and Unix information. I already heard of Linux as a Unix for
PC.

After looking around the FreeBSD website, i was conviced enough to try
it (hope i'm not a victim of a kind of marketing :] ) ,  so i read a
lot and downloaded a lot too. By now, i have the FreeBSD installed on a
390 Mb partition, and still have to configure the Kernel, and i am
dealing with a "not inodes left" or something like that; but i have
made it with the handbook and faq files, and i hope i can make it to
the X11 with a desktop only by consulting the existing information
without asking nothing to the questions-list (of course i'm planing to
reinstall all in a bigger partition, hey, i'm learning). I must say to
the Documentation project team that they have made a very very good job
and i hope i can help the project in the future.

What i found too, is that most of the people using FreeBSD, are network
administrators, webmasters, and things realted to use the FreeBSD as a
server, on serius jobs. So what about FreeBSD workstation?

By now i'm installing FreeBSD on my home pc, and obviously planing to
use it as "home pc", and i don't doubt about the capabilities of
FreeBSD as a server, but i would really like to hear an opinion about
FreeBSD as standalone system. I already browsed the package collection
but haven't installed nothing yet (i'll get there soon). I saw some CAD
software, lots of games!, and a lot of another stuff. At least i saw
netscape so later i will post from FreeBSD.

So i would like to now if there is anybody there happy with his (or
her) FreeBSD workstation.

Greetings
Oscar Urquidy
Electronics Eng. student and musician.