Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:32:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate 24GB DAT drive

On Wed, Nov 05, 1997 at 10:05:52AM +0000, Chris Stenton wrote:

> I have just got hold of a Seagate 24GB DAT drive and have come across an
> interesting problem in that it works fine for blank tapes and can read tapes
> produced on my old HP DAT but I can't  write onto any of these old tapes. Even
> mt erase does not work. It seems that if there is data on the tape it looks for
> a special marker at the beginning of the tape; if it does not find it it gives
> media error. Is this a problem with all Seagate DAT drives or just the 24GB
> version?

Depends on how old the tapes are.  *Really* old DDS (not DAT) tapes
didn't have MRS ("Media Recognition System").  By default, newer DDS
drives will refuse to write to these tapes (and to DATs, which are for
audio purposes only).

I don't know what you mean by a "Seagate 24GB DAT" drive.  Is this a
DDS-3 drive?  Check the manual, you'll probably find a way of
disabling MRS.

Greg