Date:      30 Aug 1998 05:00:20 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/7767: de driver still buggy - power cycle of death

Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net> writes:
> >Number:         7767
> >Synopsis:       de driver still buggy - power cycle of death
> >Environment:
>
> de-based 10/100 PCI Ethernet card
> Bay Networks 350F

> Power cycling the Bay Switch causes the de interface to stop working.  The
> interface becomes un-pingable and unresponsive.  The rest of the system
> remains functional.  This is highly annoying when you have to log in to
> 16 machines to fix all the boxes that you had plugged into the switch.

I have reported this some time ago, it came when some version of de driver
was imported from NetBSD.  Have you tested -current, it seems that de
driver there seems to have received lots of patches lately, many of which
seem to be related ?

> I have noticed varying specifics under different cards.  For example,
> a Kingston PCI 21041 10Mbps card may print that it has autoselected
> the AUI or BNC ports at the time the switch is cycled - even though
> these ports do not exist on a KNE40T.

I think this may be fixed in -current, by reading the source.

> >How-To-Repeat:
>
> Power cycle the Bay Switch.

I have seen this to happen without powercycling, certain equipment seem to
loose link every now and then.

> >Fix:

Workaround seems to be to force media type with "media" ifconfig option.  I
have had no trouble after that, other than forcing config edits when moving
stuff from hubs to switches and vice versa (as backup equipment for 100
Mbps switche is usually an obsoleted 10 Mbps switch or hub, this is an
issue).

--
Heikki Suonsivu / Clinet Oy / Tekniikantie 12 / FI-02150 Espoo / FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276