Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:05:53 -0600
From:      David Holland <dholland@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question on JDK1.2.2 FAQ #5 {JBuilder and JPDA}

In trying to get JPDA to work with JBuilder using the
native JDK1.2.2 (P9), I copied the jpda.jar and dt.jar files from the
linux_jdk1.2.2/lib directory into the
jdk1.2.2/lib directory.

But when I tried to use it, i.e.

java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
   -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9123,suspend=n
     HelloWorld

I get:

Can't load "libjdwp.so", because Shared object "libjdwp.so" not found

Ok, so I copied libjdwp.so from the linux-jdk1.2.2 directory as well.

Next it was libdl.so (finally discovered that this is part
of glib) so I installed linux_devtools-6.1

Still having difficulty - for some reason libdl.so would
still not get loaded {even though I added /lib to
/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf and rebooted}

Going for brute force now, I manually copied each linux lib asked for
into jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/i386/ directory until I got to ld-linux.so.2 at
which point the above gives me
a bus error...

I am using FreeBSD4.0 (7/8Snap) and XFree86 4.0 and the
instructions from
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/index.html
and Greg's FAQ.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

PS. To my suprise, JBuilder will run with the linux_jdk
and linux javacomp jit {but it is slower than the native
jdk with no jit}.  And while I can run HelloWorld from
the prompt as above with linux-jdk, I can't do it in JBuilder yet
perhaps because it is using address=asimov.solaria.org:9123 and
asimov.solaria.org isn't in my local dns yet.

PS2: Enhydra4 Enterprise seems to work great with native
jdk1.2.2 so far.

Thanks in advance,

David Holland