Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:07:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@McKusick.COM>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I almost hate to suggest this...

    I've created a gnats PR, assigned to myself, to split mount_ufs
    out of mount after the 3.0.1 release.  I don't think we have to
    spend too much more time on it now.

    ( submitting a bug report and then assigning it to yourself is a great
    way to earmark things for TODO'ing later, at least if you are a committer,
    because you get nice weekly summaries of the bugs assigned to you :-) ).

						-Matt

:	Hmmm.  I always got the feeling that the original CSRG folk
:	deliberately stuck "ufs mounting" into mount(8) so that one binary
:	could be copied around easily for fixit purposes, ufs being the one fs
:	that could be deemed somewhat in the "bootstrap" class and perhaps
:	worthy of special treatment.
:
:	Then again, maybe not, I'm just saying that this most obvious lack of
:	orthogonality (not writing mount(8) as a minimal wrapper) may well
:	have been deliberate.  I've bcc'd somebody who might know the real
:	story in any case. :)
:
:	- Jordan
:
:The intent was to one day break ufs out of mount. If you look
:at the sources for mount, you will find mount.c and mount_ufs.c.
:I think that the day has certainly come to consider making the
:divide, but it should be done properly, not by creating a link.
:Properly means moving mount_ufs.c to its own directory and
:building and installing it in its own right. The mount program
:should have the code deleted that calls mount_ufs internally.
:The only reason it was not done earlier was that it was deemed
:easier to copy just one program around (mount) than two (mount
:and mount_ufs) when making changes to the way ufs was mounted.
:I think that those considerations have faded.
:
:	Kirk McKusick
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)