Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:39:20 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 required for Document Project?

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:55:06AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > I am currently updating the various ports installed on my box and I had
> > to notice that it is no longer possible to install the docproj meta
> > port without getting X11 installed.
>=20
> Did you try WITHOUT_X11?

That should fix the dependency on X.

> I just (independently) discovered that python is now a dependency for
> libxml2, which in turn is a dependency for libxslt.  This mysteriously
> showed up at some point in the not-too-distant-past.

Eww.

IMHO that should be a WITH_PYTHON test, with the sense inverted.

> > Actually,
> > we are still installing every docbook version that ever existed
> > and linuxdoc for good measure.  Is this really neccessary?  Do
> > we still have documents that use linuxdoc?  Or any docbook
> > stylesheet version < 3.1?  There two english documents and a
> > lot of translations that still use 3.1, but everything older
> > than that should go into the bit bucket.
>=20
> No argument with this.
>=20
> Even forgetting the issue of on-the-fly graphics conversions, you're
> proposing to remove functionality needed by some fairly mundane
> operations, such as the Web site build or building *.txt files.

LinuxDoc and DocBook versions < 4 should definitely be able to go.

In a spare moment I might try and add FORMATS support to the docproj
port, so you can do

    make FORMATS=3D... install

and it will build the dependency list accordingly.  So if you're only
ever going to build HTML output files it won't both installing anything
that's not needed by that toolchain.

Someone else should feel free to beat me to the punch though. . .

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--