Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:53:36 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Terry Lambert said on Oct 10, 2001 at 23:42:27:

> I guess we could compare U.S. biotechnology or computer science,
> where it's possible to patent the results, with other countries,
> where it is not.  8-).
>
> Whether you like it or not, strong intellectual property law
> is one of the greatest contributors to U.S. primacy in almost
> all fields of technology where we don't have social reasons
> for not pursuing the technology.

I guess this is also the reason the US has led research in theoretical
physics since World War II, to the point that we now understand
high-energy physics down to some fantastically small length scales, we
understand metals and "traditional" superconductors very well, we have
the basic equations everywhere and the remaining difficulties are in
solving them and finding suitable approximations.  A huge amount of
this work was done in the US, which has received the largest fraction
of the Nobels too.  I suppose it wouldn't have happened without
protecting the IP of all these physicists.  Or would it?  How many
patents were given out in these areas?

The fact is the US has one of the best university systems in the
world, and around WW II, it also had a huge influx of some of the best
brains from Europe, which made the US a leader in research.  This has
nothing to do with IP; nothing in theoretical physics is protected by
IP.  The US lead is simply because of a better infrastructure.  Even
so, the Japanese have dominated in some markets, such as small cars
and consumer electronics; Europe has produced some well known brands
too (the Netherlands perhaps have more multinationals per capita than
any other country, and incidentally they have a strong university
system too).

The Japanese story is particularly interesting, because they made
hardly any technological breakthroughs themselves; they took others'
technology (like the transistor) and used it in innovative ways.
Their success owes nothing whatever to strong IP protection.  (It's
funny that Yamaha is one of the biggest names in making classical and
flamenco Spanish guitars today, among other musical instruments.  This
has nothing to do with IP protection either.)  The US lead in computer
science also has nothing to do with strong IP protection; it's because
of its thriving university system, and many computer scientists are
opposed to software patents.