Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:16:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Craig <jmc@cs.rit.edu>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgroups in FreeBSD10

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, Mark Johnston wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 10:58:11AM -0500, James Craig wrote:
>>

>> Hey all!
>>
>> I am migrating some of our services to freeBSD, and in the process of this,
>> I have discovered something that seems odd to me; netgroups don't seem to work
>> as expected.
>>
>> I am trying to set up a machine that will eventually be a file server
>> (running 10.2-RELEASE) and getent netgroup <name> doesn't return anything,
>> even if it is a valid name.
>>
>> We have been using openldap, and on the old solaris server, I was able to
>> query netgroups for information, and use netgroups to limit some access to NFS.
>>
>> getent passwd, and other lookups seem to work fine.
>>

>> I had truss running on the ldap server, and when I try to
>> getent netgroup <name> there is no action. So I ran a truss on the getent on
>> the FreeBSD machine, and sifting through the system calls the system will only
>> search the file /etc/netgroup (which is empty), despite that
>> my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:
>
> Unfortunately, the NSS documentation is wrong: the netgroup database isn't
> implemented. The netgroup NSS methods always read /etc/netgroup and
> ignore the sources configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

 	I am glad I wasn't screwing up; thanks for the insight.

 	Since this note I have also discovered that trying to use netgroups
 	in login.access fails because I am not using NIS -- regardless of
 	the /etc/netgroup file being populated.

 	Is this something that will get implemented? (where would I go to
 	find out?)

> I have a libc patch (missing man page updates) that fixes this:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~markj/patches/netgroup_nss.diff
> It also adds a getnetgrent_r() implementation. If you're able to rebuild
> libc in your environment, this patch should fix the problem you're
> encountering - please let me know if it doesn't!

 	I'll be honest; I have never done that before, so I am not sure
 	what it will take, or what the ramifications on the system would
 	be.

 	I can look into it. (pointers would be appreciated, if there are any)

 	thank you!

James Craig

--
James Craig, Department of Computer Science, RIT
102 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
destroy any copies of this information.