Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 20:46:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        sbb@freegate.com, dap@mt.sri.com, gozer@ludd.luth.se, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swing 1.0 and jdk-1.1.5

"Nate Williams sez: "
> > Look in the awt_Frame.c code -- there is a diff that the FreeBSD port has
> > where an allowance for the height of the menu bar isn't being made.  This
> > may have been to fix the behavior with some window managers, but it
> > looks like it's at the expense of others.
>
> Hmm, this code is from Damon's patchkit, so I'm unsure why it was made.
> Any ideas why you changed this Damon?

Absolutely!
Without this hack, using fvwm2 window manager, the window would
appear, jump off to some random location, and would resize itself
to pretty much 0 width and smallish height.

I admit to not having had the slightest idea what the code I disabled
was attempting to do.  It changed substantially between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5, and
it is clear from the all the debug code left in there that whoever was
making the changes was having some difficulties, and what was released
probably works OK for MWM, but was totally broken for non-MWM.

I just whacked at it until it stopped wreaking havoc, and went on to
more important issues, like core dumps.  It does cause initial window placement
to be erratic -- windows place, then jump elsewhere.  It just was never
very high on the list of things to get 99% right.

If someone wants to fix it, and has the time to test it against all the
extant window managers, please do so.