Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:15:10 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature-poor default WPA userland software (hostapd, wpa_supplicant) configuration -- is it inetntional?

On 24 August 2012 10:10, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net> wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2012 18:46:23 Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Enable, play and see?
>
> ACK.

:)

> There is more interesting stuff available which needs someone to look
> into, eg. briding support and VLANs. I guess the bridging stuff is
> required to get 11r running. 11w though requires hardware support if
> I'm not totally of.
>
> There are even a lot of 11n options available which are currently not
> supported nor in any other way tunable, this requires stack work, not
> only for the supplicant but also for ifconfig.

There's also likely a whole bunch of driver and stack things we need.
Eg, we need correct VLAN handling (which is fine, we SHOULD have it in
net80211, I just don't think it's been tested in a long time.) There's
also off-channel traffic support which I know we don't currently do.

I have a looong list of 802.11n things to add to the ath driver and
debug (correct LDPC/STBC negotiation and driver handling, rate control
stuff, AP power save, STA power save, background scanning and
off-channel traffic, MIMO power save negotiation and support, correct
PS-POLL handling, looking at uAPSD STA/AP handling, adhoc, TDMA...)
before I even begin to look at that more fun stuff.

Adrian