Date:      27 Apr 2002 14:47:16 -0000
From:      atk2@arctic.org
To:        atk2@arctic.org, scott.mitchell@mail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking hard disk -- hdparm like tool?

I did that -- and it does say dma -- but I think it is dma 2 (ata33). The
drive is ata 133 and I was hoping for ata 100 (which freebsd supports). There
is nothing in the var log messages or otherwise to indicate which dma mode it
is in.

I'm hoping to get ppp working tomorrow and then will do a cvs-update to get
atacontrol (I'm running off of the 4.5 release cd's).

Wish the info sysctrl/boot messages had more details.

There is a dvd drive as slave -- and I was able to set it from the default
pio mode to dma mode. I get about 2.5MB/S off the dvd and 10MB/S off the hard
drive. However, if the dvd plays while the hard disk is active hard disk
drops to about 200KB/S (thought as master it would stay near peak). Oh well...

Alan