Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:48:39 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Danger Will Robinson

On Fri, Apr 18, 1997 at 05:27:35PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> I have changed both mount_nfs and amd to use NFSv3 in preference to v2 if
> it is supported by the server.  This means that machines which have been
> using v2 by default will now start using the v3 protocol.  I believe that
> the v3 support in current is stable enough to make it the default but no
> doubt someone will prove me wrong.
>
> To revert to the old behaviour, add the nfsv2 option to either /etc/fstab
> for static mounts or to the amd map defaults for automounts.  This will
> force the use of the older protocol.
>
> --
> Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
> Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 951 1891

Are you saying that if I'm running a -CURRENT client I can mount a
filesystem over NFS and the system will NOT blow up if I execute something
over that NFS mounted link -- and its V3?

This is definitely not true by default with -CURRENT kernels, and I'd like
to know if it is with these changes in place.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal