Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:32:36 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        insane@oneinsane.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System will not Complete Shutdown

In message <199810220144.KAA09156@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>,
Kazutaka YOK
OTA writes:

> >I Just built a new box that I am going to make sorta a
> >Firewall/Gateway box. Here is the dmesg output.
> [...]
> >The system works fine untill I issue a shutdown -r now or reboot.
> >The system appears to shutdown untill This is the last thing on the screen.
> >
> >Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown.

[snip]

> For reasons unintelligible to me, IBM decided to put the CPU reset
> circuit wired to the keyboard controller in the IBM AT computer.  You
> are supposed to instruct the keyboard controller to reset the CPU when
> you want to restart the system.
>
> Unfortunately, the keyboard controller is one of peripheral chips which
> often have subtle compatibility problems.  The FreeBSD kernel talks to
> the keyboard controller in order to reboot the system.  If it finds
> the reset didn't work, it prints the above message.
>
> Please add the following option to your kernel configuration file,
> rebuild the kernel, and see if it works.
>
> options "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET"

I had similar problems with FreeBSD and OS/2.  Replacing the keyboard
BIOS (keyboard controller) solved the problem.  Apparently the "F"
level keyboard BIOS fixes this problem.  The "M" level keyboard BIOS
will hang during boot of certain operating systems.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC