Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:55:34 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot floppy problem with Intel Atlantis motherboard (Ma

Narvi wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > Brett Glass stands accused of saying:

> > > Is this the S3 video chip vs. COM4: conflict?
> >
> > Actually, S3 parts are very tolerant of activity on that port.
> > Sadly, the ATI Mach64 chips _aren't_, and these are the ones that cause
> > problems.
>
> Some do have the conflict - you can't use some older (and I don't know
> about newer) serial cards/modems with Trio64V+ - The system still works
> (at least with DOS + Windows) but you can't access the serial.
>

> > It all started with IBM and the 8514...

I believe the problem in both cases derives from the fact that most
serial ports do not use 16 bit I/O addresses - they usually ignore
the most significant 4 bits.  Therfore a serial port at x3E8H will
confilct with a video device at (let's say) 33E8H.  I believe some of
the S3 chips fall into this category.  I can't remember if the
original IBM serial ports had 12 or 16 bit addresses (I have the old
schematics around here somewhere) so the 8514 might have been OK with
IBM serial hardware.  I believe I bought a 4 port serial board once
that was 16-bit addressable specifically to get around this problem
with an S3 board.  I'll bet the company's out of business for
spending the extra four cents required to put a 16 bit PAL on the
board instead of just a 12 bit one.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com