Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: has anyone been able to make maildrop work with a recent 2.2-SNAP?

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Chris Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 10:24:33AM -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
> >
> > I've had maildrop (same idea as procmail, but more flexible) working on a
> > 2.2.7-RELEASE box, which I then upgraded to 2.2.7-19980828-SNAP.  Now,
> > when I try to run maildrop, it sits there for about 5 minutes and exits
> > with the message "maildrop: Timeout quota exceeded."  It's in C++ and I
> > haven't had the time to trace out where it's having the problem, but I
> > suspect that it's some subtle problem with file locking, either a bug in
> > maildrop that didn't trigger with -RELEASE, or an actual change in
> > semantics in -STABLE.
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5799/maildrop.README.html
> > compiled without dotlocking.
> >
> > I also tried 2.2.7-19981004-SNAP with no improvement.
>
> I've used maildrop versions .54, .54b, and .55 on two 2.2.7-STABLE machines,
> one stable as of August 16 and the other as of September 4. I've never had any
> problems with it at all. For the most part I accepted the default
> configuration, except for the location of the mailboxes (mine are in the home
> directories).

Interesting.  I recomplied exactly per your instructions, and nothing has
changed.  Oh, and I apparently wasn't explicit enough, the exact same
binary that worked under 2.2.7-RELEASE previously is the one that failed
under the SNAPs.  Then I ftp'ed the binary (both the original and the new
compile) to a machine that is still running 2.2.7-RELEASE, and guess what,
they didn't work there either.

Now I'm really confused, but since it seems to be a local phenomina, I'll
go away now, at least until I figure out where it's hanging.