Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 02:53:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <root@neland.dk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   why fetchmail can't find receiver name.

Just for information:

We have some customers who pick up all the mail for their domain in one
mailbox with fetchmail, which then split it to the respective users.

They used to pick up at mail.our.domain, which was a cname for
old.our.domain.

Then we changed mailservers, and I put mail.our.domain in the dns with the
same ip as new.our.domain.

Fetchmail broke. It couldn't find the reciever name, and delivered all
mail to root.

I used cucipop on the new, and qpopper on the old. Installed cucipop on
new too. Didn't help. ftp'ed a mailbox from old to new. Didn't help.

Then I tried picking up at new.our.domain (the name the machine calls
itself) instead of mail.our.domain. _That_ worked.

Appearently, when fetchmail picks up mail at some.mail.host, it looks for
the headers:
  Received from some.other.host
     by some.mail.host
     for this.user@my.domain.

But when mail.our.domain wasn't the real name, or a cname pointing to the
real name of the mailserver, it couldn't find the right recieved-by
hostname, and failed.

So when I made mail.our.domain a cname for new.our.domain, it worked
again.

Hopefully, somebody can use this....

I want to let each machine have (at least) two names; one "real" name, and
one for the function it serves. So I can assign the mail.our.domain to
whatever machine I want.

I didn't want to let mail.our.domain be a cname, because sendmail
(or actually bind) doesn't like mx-records pointing to a cname, but when
fetchmail can't handle an alias, I had to make it a cname anyway. Then I
just let awk change all mx'es from old.our.domain to new.our.domain
instead...

Leif@neland.dk