Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:10:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Randall Hyde <randyhyde@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FLEX, was Re: Return value of malloc(0)

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

On Thu, 2006-Jun-29 15:09:23 -0700, Randall Hyde wrote:
>>How about feeding the C source through the preprocessor, stripping out
>>the #line directives, compiling it and posting the exact gcc error and
>>source context.
>
>Okay, I'll try that when I get home. But I was kind of under the
>impression that *GCC* runs the preprocessor on the input, during
>compilation :-).

It does but, as you pointed out, the input line you posted doesn't
obviously correlate with the error report.  Explicitly pre-processing
the source and stripping out the #line directives means that you can
then correlate the error message with the actual line that cc1 is
compiling.

> -- this would appear to be a generic problem with using FLEX
>output under BSD and I thought a quick question would affirm/deny
>that thought.

Well, I just did a check of some flex code I have lying around and it
did not report any syntax errors or unexpected warnings.  And, since
flex is used several times during a buildworld, any generic problems
would show up very quickly.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr