Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 12:12:14 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From:      Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
To:        Stuart Duckworth <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>
Cc:        Dragon Singer <WM-Scace@wiu.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello,

On Sun, 27 May 2001, Stuart Duckworth wrote:

> On 25 May 01, at 17:23, Dragon Singer wrote:
>
> > 	I'm really new to FreeBSD, so new in fact that I haven't had the courage
> > to try and install it yet.
>
> I tried installing Linux after several successfull FreeBSD installs.  I
> found FreeBSD easier and safer to install.  The Linux distribution I
> tried was RedHat and despite me clearly not wanting it to write to
> my primary drive, it did so anyway and trashed the partition table.  I
> shall stick with FreeBSD in future.

RedHat is difficult, since it tries to be so simple :) I use Slackware a
lot on my laptop systems since I haven't been able to get FreeBSD to
install on any of them due to PCMCIA NICs and cdroms. Slackware is a great
distribution if you know what you're doing. While it isn't as good as
FreeBSD (in my opinion) it certainly is miles better than, for example,
RedHat and SuSE.

-Fredrik