Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 06:37:55 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        wietse@porcupine.org
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks!

> > When typed 'zzz<enter>' and release the <enter> key...
>
> Let me clear this up before it gets out of hand.
>
> When I am logged in over the network, there is no key release event
> on the machine that receives the 'zzz<enter>'.  It just receives the
> characters.

Understood.  This solution is for other machines, not for yours.

> > It seems the features of some ThinkPad machines.  I've heard that NIC
> > and Modem pccards cause problems on some TP.  I think you can find the
>
> Why is this not a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the exact same
> machine and with the exact same pc cards?

I'm not sure.  My NotePC experience is from 3.1, so I'm not familiar
with 2.2.8 code, sorry.
I suspect this is caused by not only apm code but also pccard, i386
specific code (especially memory?).  To solve this completely, we need
to check diffs between 2.2.8 and 3.X code in these area.

> > We had cli asm (disable interrupts) before calling APM BIOS call in
> > FreeBSD 2.2.8, but this also seems to cause other problems and cli was
> > deleted.
>
> With 2.2.8 I had to delete the cli asm otherwise the machine would
> not resume.  This is the exact same machine that now runs 3.4+PAO3.

OK.

> > How about using apmd?  If pccardc power command can replace
> > [un]plugging cards manualy then you can specify the procedures in
> > /etc/apmd.conf.  This is for apm events like lid closing, not for zzz/apm -z
> > though...
>
> See my previous post.  Closing the lid is good enough for me.

If you want to suspend your machine with command line,
please try 'sh /etc/rc.suspend' :-)

Thanks