Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:14:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        ecmsl Last Name <ecmsl@my-deja.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I want MIDI now

ecmsl Last Name wrote:
> Having not known the days where FreeBSD had working midi devices,
> I was upset upset to upgrade to 4.4R and see no midi for soundcards
> yet. Fighting with config <kernel-file>, trying LINT's examples of
> snd+sb0+sbc0+sbmidi0... was a waste of time (SB32 ISA PnP).

did you read the handbook ?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x14040.html

did you try the new pcm driver ?

two solutions :

echo device pcm >> /sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNEL
echo device sbc >> /sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNEL
etc.

or

kldload pcm

or even better

kldload sb16

> How do I upgrade from 4.4-RELEASE to -CURRENT ? (I only have a modem
> at home where I'm typing this but almost everything at work: fast
> internet, CD-Writer, removable hard disk).

download the -current sources then read /usr/src/UPDATING.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net