Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 17:54:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error(s) in the handbook

If this is a mailing list (I'm not sure), please e-mail your reply directly
to me because I am not on the list.

In section 5.3.10 of the handbook, Pseudo-devices, it is stated:

"pseudo-device gzip . . . This is really only useful when you need to
compress FreeBSD programs to fit on a boot floppy.  You will probably never
need to compress programs on your hard drive in this fashion, so you'll
probably want to comment out this line."

Well, that is, IMHO,  bad advice.  The file /stand/sysinstall is one of
those gzip'd executables.  It took me quite a few hours to find out why that
program wouldn't run after I had commented out that line in the kernel
configuration.

My advice would be to leave it in (there may be other utilities like this as
well -- I'm not sure) or if it is taken out, warn the people of this
problem.

I'd also reccommend putting an appropriate comment in the GENERIC and LINT
kernel configs (though that may be somebody else's job).

An alternative to having to leave this in would be to un-gzip all programs
before installing them on the hard disk (although this too may be somebody
else's job) or to make the system smart enough to tell users that they're
trying to run a gzip'd program.

Thanks for your time.

John

--
John Goerzen, programmer and owner   | MICRO$oft only exists because some
Communications Centre & Complete BBS | people are too dumb to get something