Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:35:22 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        wollman@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, security-officer@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/21268: user set no nobody is not good

In message <200009141724.KAA66988@freefall.freebsd.org> wollman@FreeBSD.org writes:
: Synopsis: user set no nobody is not good
: Experiment to see if this will work as a way to request security reviews.

Short answer:
	Looks Good.  Man page wording needs work.

Long Answer:
	This fix appears to have no security implications.  It doesn't
	change the default behavior and gives administrators of tftp
	servers additional flexibility.  There is a potential for
	abuse, but that abuse is easy to cure.  It exposes no new
	external user controllable parameters to the system, so
	doesn't introduce a new vector of attack.  Improperly setup
	systems may be impacted, but that's no worse than before.  A
	tftpd user might not be a bad idea, and maybe the man page
	should suggest this, but this level of need doesn't rise to
	the level of requiring it on all systems.

	The man page wording is awkward.  Sadly, I don't have a
	suggestion for a better wording.

Now, what the heck do I do?  Reassign it back to wollman so he can be
responsible for committing the changes?  Wait for others on the SO
team to look at this?  For now I'll do nothing.

Warner