Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gism@isot.isot.com (Global Internet Shopping Mall)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDi --> FreeBSD

> Please help!  I'm trying to replace my current BSDi 2.0.1 server <isot.com
> 206.24.68.1> with FreeBSD 2.1.

Please use FreeBSD 2.1.5, 2.1 is outdated and has been supersedded by this
new release.

> I've setup a temporary FreeBSD box as <multibyte.com 206.24.68.15> connected
> to <isot.com> through the ethernet.

multibyte.com is not a registered domain in the root nameservers.
68.24.206.in-addr.arpa is not server by, or deligated from the
server for 24.206.in-addr.arpa.

> When I <netstat -r> it takes long time to display each line, at the end it
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is fixed in the netstat sources, upgrading to 2.1.5 will fix this slow
response of netstat -r.  I am not sure if you can run the 2.1.5 netstat binary
on 2.1.

> shows:
>
> Destination        Gateway             Flags   ...
> default            multibyte.com       UGSc
> 206.24.68          link#2              UC
> isot.isot.com      0:a0:24:12:c2:c     UHLW
> multibyte.com      0:a0:24:12:c2:3c    UHLW
> 206.24.68.115      link#2              UHLW
> BASE-ADDRESS.MCA   link#2              UCS
>
> 1) a)Where did the ...115 came from?

Not sure, what does ``ifconfig -a'' and ``netstat -i'' say?

>    b)And where is my ...15?  I've looked at the /etc/sysconfig
>      which is specified for ...15

multibyte.com == ...15, it is the default route.  It looks as if you
have declared yourself to be the default route, which is probably wrong.

> 2) What is BASE-ADDRESS.MCA line?  Where did it come from?

This is the multicast route for 224.0.0.0, it came from /etc/sysconfig.

> 3) Why link#2???  Shouldn't it be link#1?

Should become apperant when you do the ifconfig -a and netstat -i in 1)
above.

> I can ping <isot.com> but long delay at first before it begin pinging.  And
> I cannot ping outside <isot.com>, such as bsdi.com, yahoo.com, etc...  I
> checked the DNS configurations, looks ok and named is running.

Your default route is probably wrong.  Also your DNS is not visible to the
rest of the net, so your going to have problems there very soon as well.