Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:03:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        leif@neland.dk (Leif Neland)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spammers

| Spammers are not nessecarily the most smart people.
|
| I've been hit by a guy, who over 36 hours had gotten around 300000 times "relaying denied", but still kept trying.

This is actually a bug in M$'s mail MTA I believe. I use smtpd to block spam
and some unwanted non user accounts here (a name similarity with an ISP on
the other coast of this country). When I decline connections based on user
name or for relaying I've set it up to send a 5XX error message in the SMTP
dialogue. THe M$ MTA takes this as a temporary error and retries _immediately_.

I had an MSN affiliated TV station here trying to bang the same piece of
email into on my machine for some 16 hours on Friday. The M$ MTA seems to
feel infinite retries with no backoff policy or indeed any delay between
them is some sort of feature. No doubt, no error status goes back when
delivery fails after infinite tries bomb out either. They (the owners)
shut it down after I offered to bill them for my bandwidth (in the third
email complaining about it!) use, which is very expensive here in Oz. If
they hadn't I would have taken stronger measures when I got home.

| He was running windows networking, and had all his disks shared with the world, and no password.
|
| I don't think he'll be spamming again soon...

It difficult to feel any sympathy for him.

Enno.