Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3391: Pentium optimizations in default bootdisk breaks some 486's

The following reply was made to PR kern/3391; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: bde@zeta.org.au, yensid@imsa.edu
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:40:35 +1000

 >>>	On all current boot disks, on certain 486's (mine, at least)
 >>This can't have anything to do with i586 optimizations.  There are no i586
 >
 >Actually, I think there was a version mix-up; I filed the problem report
 >from a system running 2.1.7, I'm having this problem with 2.2 and later.
 >Sorry 'bout that

 Also a CPU mixup? :-)  i586 optimizations are not used on 486's.

 >When I posed this problem to the general problems list, I received responses
 >indicating that this was a problem with the 586 optimizations, and the
 >source seems to agree:
 >
 >freebsd-src/sys/i386/isa/npx.c
 >[...]

 This decides whether the i586 copying optimizations are used.  They are
 only used on i586's, and then only if they aren't disabled.  There is no
 need to recompile without I586_CPU to control them.  So if recompiling
 without i586_CPU makes a difference, then the problem must have nothing
 to do with known problems with i586 optimizations :-).

 Bruce