Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:51:45 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Bill L. Johnson Sr." <billsr@kconline.com>, "free-bsd newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

I'm always extremely suspicious of modems on COM3 / cuaa2 ..... invariably
they have turned out to be winmodems. The only internal modems I've had any
joy with have been 33.6k ISA ones I've used in neanderthal 386's to get
around the problem with slow UART's .....  even then I've had a fair number
of weird "no buffer space" issues.

The default kernel only provides two serial ports anyway .... a compile is
required to get cuaa2 / cuaa3