Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 16:33:19 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:

> Took it, applied in CONFIG file, pcic now happy but...

     ... but do you know if the pcic device is actually *working*?
Sometimes, it's possible to make FreeBSD output the same IRQs in dmesg,
but the device still won't work (often because the BIOS has locked the
IRQ to, say, IRQ 10).

>   > IRQ 9:
>
> Can I use this for daughter cards in the slot as their IRQ to probe on?

     Depends.  Some devices work with IRQ 9, and others don't.  I think
people have reported that the Wavelan card can use IRQ 9 (on older
versions of FreeBSD, though).

>   > IRQ 11: uhci0 <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller>
>
> I've been recommended to try and disable this, to free it up for cards. Or,
> I guess, to assign to pcic and leave irq 5 Free for daughter cards to use.
>
> Thats fine for *me* because I don't use USB. But for others, it might be
> problematic.

     At this point, I think you need to make sure that the pcic device
is working; you don't need any more free IRQs at the moment.  You've
already got a free IRQ (5 or 9) to use for the Wavelan card, and you can
always free up more, later, if you need more (but you don't, if all you
want to use is the Wavelan card).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com