Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:18:58 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses)

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 03:59:25PM -0700, Robert A. Bruce wrote:

> If you are looking for a publisher, please let me know.  BSDi publishes
> The FreeBSD Handbook, and The Complete FreeBSD.  We are looking for
> new BSD books to publish.  Some specific topics we are looking for
> are corporate/enterprise, ISPs, embedded systems, and security, but we
> are happy to consider anything BSD related.

Are there any plans to set up distribution of these 2 books (and any more
you may publish) in mainstream bookshops outside the US (e.g. Europe). If
you search for either book on the websites of any major UK bookshops
(Dillons, Waterstones, Blackwells etc) they always come back "not found".

I appreciate that publishing books is not the main business of WC/BSDi and
so setting up international distribution may be difficult and/or expensive
but is it not possible to come to an arrangement with another publisher
with established international distribution channels, and for whom the books
pose no commercial competition, to distribute them for you?

In the past year in one of these shops I visit fairly regularly there has
been a noticeable increase in the number of Linux and Linux-related books
on the shelves (and a corresponding decrease in Windows books) so it would
be good to see the FreeBSD Handbook and TCFBSD alongside them (plus FreeBSD
for Dummies, FreeBSD for Sysadmins, etc., etc.).

> 	-bob

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie