Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:27:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001241405300.315-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
> : Oh.  If that's a problem, it would be a fatal problem (would be for me,
> : sometimes).
>
> It used to be a big problem.  When cvsup was first getting mirrors,
> some seemed to update every 15 minutes, while others updated what
> seemed like every two days.  A big part of the problem was contention
> at the main cvsup server.  Since cvsup has gone to cvsup-master this
> problem has all but disappeared.  The mirrors all have good
> connectivity and can get updates on a timely basis.
[some deletions]

> For people updating 2x a day or less often, I doubt that switching
> between responding cvsup servers would cause great pain, or any
> effects at all.
>
> It is a hard problem to get right all the time....

Well, I really hate the idea of lots of network pinging, both because it's
not reliable for network probing, not reliable for machine load probing,
and causes more congestion, so I wanted a way to force loadsharing, one
that allowed some feedback so that real backups could be adjusted
to.  OTOH, there's no way I will try to fight folks with elephantine
memories.

I even began looking at Modula-3, seeing if I could offer a diff set to
jdp.  You know what I realized, and (for some reason) no one in my memory
has ever written: modula-3, in features, looks a lot like Java.  It's not
a stylistic descendant of C like Java is, but featurewise, it is.

> Warner

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.