Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:51:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        ahasty@mindspring.com, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

As Matthew Dillon wrote ...

> :..
> :behavior problem with Linux : I do an ftp download in a linux box and
> :periodically I see a slight pause -- VA research snap back saying that
> :the problem was due to the VM / Scheduler and that they couldn't
> :fix it because Linus held tight control over that section of the kernel.
> :
> :I would like to know who took your commit priviliges away.
> :
> :Amancio
>
>     The commit privs were pulled after a roe with a core member blew up into
>     an electronic fist fight.  It just got too much for me and I blew my top
>     at the guy.  It could be argued that it was appropriate at the time,
>     though I personally would have pulled *both* people's commit privs, not
>     just mine, and then only for a little while.  Frankly, the whole problem
>     could have been avoided if certain issues had been dealt with by core
>     years ago rather then left to fester.   As with any tightly nit group,
>     people get used to the worst of each other's quirks and become hide bound
>     in their opinions and preconceptions of (supposed) outsiders.  I think it
>     is a problem that occurs with any tightly nit group, not just the FreeBSD

In my experience the group might *appear* tightly knit, but it often is not.

Reason: the primary means of communication, being email, is about the
most horrible way to get a emotional message across (with the possible
exception of a jet fighter :/ ) that is currently in existence. Combine
that with 100s of emails a day and you got all the ingredients for a flame
war.

The only way to solve this, it seems, is to have people actually meet
face2face. I have a real life example (i4b) that got straightened out in the
end after people actually _talked_ instead of typed.

So, by all means try this if at all feasible. The tone of recent discussions
on -hackers was acidous enough I'd say....

Just my $0.02