Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 97 01:00:40 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "dg@root.com" <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 00:01:22 -0800, David Greenman wrote:

>   What we have now is pretty bad for just about everything and might
>actually be slower on a two CPU machine for things that spend their
>time mostly in the kernel (like Internet servers). There are two things
>that need to be done: locks need to be pushed down so that we have at
>least per-subsystem locking (networking, filesystems, VM system, etc),
>and we need to rewrite the scheduler for process affinity. With those
>two things working reliably, I would consider the SMP implementation not
>finished, but releasable as a first cut.

	During the 2.2.5-Beta cycle some ideas like this were kicked
around, but discussion was put on hold.  Is it possible to put this on a
more formal schedule?  I think we would gain a lot by coming out with a
"practice release" of -Current that has known bugs/conflicts ironed out,
and SMP code that at least wasn't likely to make things worse. :)  I know
several adventurous people that would put SMP code on production machines
if they had a reasonable assurance that it would be (at least mostly)
stable.  We could use the feedback from people who are using the thing in
a production environment, and garner some good pre-publicity.

	I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, my point is simply that this
would be a well-received project. :)  I think we can all see the SMP
writing on the wall, it would be nice to be ahead of the curve.

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***