Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:55:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        jsuter@linus.intrastar.net (Jacob Suter)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

> After looking over recent messages about news servers, it appears as if
> NNTP is a very wasteful use of system resources.  Has there been any
> advances in the replacement of this waste-o-bandwidth?

Not to speak of the net itself; we (not a particularly major player,
but we get independent feeds from 3 of the "top 1k") are currently
getting between 1 and 2 gb/day in, the great majority (all but about 300mb)
in alt.binaries, evenly split between various cracks and pictures (and that's
in spite of having all warez and most binaries.games groups 'x'd out; I've
seen too much copyright stuff in them.  The cracker folks post to
non-obvious groups (like already-passworded copies of photoshop showing
up in alt.binaries.games, which I've seen more than once)).

-- Pete