Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:51:18 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: groups

In message <Pine.BSF.4.01.9811181429350.327-100000@aniwa.sky> Andrew McNaughton writes:
: Too much of a tangent to to put it into the existing thread:  Can someone
: give me a description of why we have user and group 'bin'?

No.  We don't have these group/user.  They were removed because they
were bogus and negatively added to security, especially when files
were exported via nfs.  Having files owned by bin doesn't buy you
anything except an extra user.

This is as of 3.0, the 2.x systems will still have these users.
Actually, 3.0 has them also, but it doesn't actually use them except
for the ports that haven't been updated.

Warner