Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 16:59:44 -0400
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on kldload in 6.1

--Apple-Mail-15-113976765

On May 19, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:54:19PM -0400, Joe Auty wrote:

>>> It sounds like you have an old (6.0) module you're still trying to
>>> load.  Things like the nvidia driver and other ports are prime
>>> candidates.
>>>

>> Hi, I tried commenting out all of the kernel modules in /boot/
>> loader.conf, and I'm still panicing. I wrote down some of the panic
>> message this time.
>>
>> The code is "superviser read, page not present"
>>
>> the panic output is:
>>
>> panic: page fault
>>

>> Unless you guys have any ideas of things I can try, I'll just file
>> this.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> So you claimed originally that it was due to kldloading "some module",
> but now you're still getting the same panic when you're not kldloading
> anything?  Can you please clarify exactly what is the situation?
>
> I suspect you're still actually kldloading something (modules are
> loaded on demand for some things): did you boot into single-user mode
> and confirm that all modules are up-to-date?

I'm getting this error message during boot time, not during manual
all my third-party modules listed in /boot/loader.conf. I'm assuming
that all modules stored in /boot/kernel are system modules, and it
would be expected that they would all be able to run without kernel
panicing during boot?

Sorry for my lack of clarity! Where I became unclear was probably in
saying "some module". During boot time, once this panic is spewed
onto my screen, it doesn't indicate which (system) module it is
choking on.

This panic occurred in single user mode under 6.0 too, I haven't
tried single user mode in 6.1 yet....

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org

--Apple-Mail-15-113976765
	name=PGP.sig