Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 19:54:59 -0500
From:      "Paul Missman" <missmanp@adelphia.net>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

From: dannyman <dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org>
Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 7:14 PM

>On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 04:41:24PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
>
>> > Hah.  You forget that nobody outside the Bay area has the mbone
>> > anymore, if they ever had it in the first place.
>>
>> No kidding.  Our ISP played with it for awhile (for watching NaNOG
>> meetings), and gave it up.  They're now sending people to the meetings,
>> since it was much cheaper and useful than using the Mbone, which is
>> useless given the current 'lag' and 'loss' on the net as a whole.
>>
>> PHK's 40% packet loss to CA with normal traffic would make the MBONE
>> more than useless.  It would simply waste bandwidth with no gain.
>>
>> That's why people who want the MBONE for research and such want their
>> own private Internet back again, and are asking for grants and such to
>> give them their own toy back.
>
>Yah, the mbone works a whole lot better over the vBNS. :)

There's a lot to be said for separate fibers, or at least separate WDM
channels
on the backbones to carry all real time traffic.  Hopefully, in the not to
distant future
the net will head that way.  I imagine IP telephony will get the backbone
folks onto
the track of not mixing real time signals with standard priority traffic.

On the release front: what runs now for SMP seems like a good idea, when it
tests
as stable.  Getting lower level locking, while an excellent idea, could take
quite a
while to implement and debug.  Trying to put too many things into 3.0 that
aren't close to ready will just make the release date indeterminate.  SMP
fully working
seems a good, major goal for 3.0, along with whatever else is ready by
whatever
cutoff date is established for new submissions.

Anything that is going to take too long can go towards 4.0.

Paul Missman