Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:11:50 +1000
From:      Ian Pulsford <Ianjp@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Stable'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'FreeBSD ISP'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

Andrew Khanoff wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:27:44 -0600
> > ...do you have a limit set on the firewall logging compiled in the
> > kernel...??? packets can overload the system as I undertand it....
> >

>  hi, all
>    I've got pretty much the same errors on both of my 4.4-STABLE
> routers(3.5-STABLE based work seems like ok). More to say, the second one
> is  router with very little network load and with no ipfw rules except
> allow ip from any to any, and 100Mbps NIC onboard(connected btw in
> 10baseTx hub).  netstat -m gives only 9 per cent  use of mbuffers. What's
> up? Something strange is going on after lattest cvsups. Services running:
> squid, snmpd(running this one and polling it with mrtg encreases
> probability of "network lockup" in several times), pop3, sendmail, sshd.
> TIA for any help in this problem.
>
> -------------------------
> wsi# netstat -m
> 68/384/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>         68 mbufs allocated to data
> 64/100/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 296 Kbytes allocated to network (9% of mb_map in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
> --------------------------
> wsi# uname -a
>
> FreeBSD abc.kiev.ua 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Fri Nov  9 10:43:08
> EET 2001     ender@abc.kiev.ua:/usr/src/sys/compile/WSI  i386

I had the same problem last night as I was using several newsreaders to
access nntpcache on my FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE dialup router.  It was fixed
by hanging up the dialup connection and reconnecting.  Also running
squid, apache, icecast, postgresql. However I don't think it ran out of
mbufs:

137/640/16384 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        132 mbufs allocated to data
        5 mbufs allocated to packet headers
131/390/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
940 Kbytes allocated to network (7% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Also have large send and recieve buffers set in /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535

It also happened about a month ago but I decided to let it slide unless
it repeated.

IanP