Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:21:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fork test

> > FreeBSD spawned many more processes than Linux before it started being
> > unable to fork and was thus running many more live copies of the program?
> > You haven't really given/collected enough information to decide.
>
> Linux 2.2.x still supports only 1024 processes I believe. Rumour goes that
> 2.4 supports 16384 processes, so poster should try a 2.3.99pre<x> kernel.

Vanilla Linux 2.2.x supports 512 processes, defined by NR_TASKS. 4090
is a hardware limit that can't be passed in 2.2.x

Linux 2.4.x will support an unlimited number of processes up to the point
of 256^sizeof(pid_t). Most people will probably run out of RAM before they
hit this limit.

Poster should screw benchmarks out of fear of holy war. :)

-MB