Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:35:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read-only error when newfs'ing

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:

> I give up! :)  Help!
> I searched the email archives and found no messages at
> all relating to this error.

There are some now...

> I recently upgraded from FreeBSD 2.2.5 to 3.2-RELEASE,
> then added a new Promise Ultra/66 IDE controller and
> two IBM 36G ("37.5G") drives.  I've been struggling to

IDE disks larger than 65536*16*63 sectors ("33.8G") don't work with
the wd driver in CHS mode.  "Cylinder" numbers >= 65536 are silently
truncated mod 65536, so that reads from these cylinders give garbage
and writes to these cylinders corrupt low cylinders (the problem is
partially fixed in -current: these cylinders are inaccessble).  LBA
mode should work for these disks, except panic dumps don't work; they
usually go to the wrong place (this bug is fixed in -current).

> But my current problem is now that I think I have the
> controller working, I can't newfs the disk.  I keep getting
> the error:
>
> newfs: wtfs: Read-only file system

EROFS is returned for attempts to overwrite the label sector.
newfs probably does attempt to overrwrite the label sector when
a write to cylinder 65536 goes to cylinder 0, but I don't know
how the error is detected.  The explicit error check involves
only the absolute sector number which doesn't get truncated.

Bruce