Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:51:47 -0500
From:      Dan Kilbourne <bsd-lists@netophilia.net>
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Desktop

Graham Bentley extolled:

> OK for email - what is the closest thing to KMail that
> doesnt require all the QT / K stuff to be loaded ? I have
> tried Mahogany and Mullberry but they both crash at
> certain points and seem a bit unstable. The emphasis
> is on smaller / lighter and dont really need calender
> like Evolution. Thunderbird seems a bit clunky. Would
> welcome suggestions :)
>
> Also, any apps that are not as obvious that may be
> usefull in an office environment - thanks for suggestions.
>
> Graham

If you are looking for a lightweight mail app, I recommend either
sylpheed (http://sylpheed.good-day.net/) or balsa
(http://balsa.gnome.org/ - depends on gnome though). I used to use them
when I would attempt to use a gui mailer - usually lasted about 24 hours
before I was back with mutt :)

As for other apps, it really depends on your needs. Most people seem to
really like gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/), xmms
(http://www.xmms.org), although those are not so much about
productivity. I personally use mostly console apps, such as mp3blaster
and naim, so I cannot offer much more.

--
___
Dan