Date:      Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:15:05 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        andrewr@uidaho.edu
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup and portupgrade

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:16:19 Andrew Robinson <andrewr@uidaho.edu> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm confused about the connection between cvsup and portupgrade.  When I
>run
>portupgrade, it seems to ftp the code to my machine from a remote server.
>But, I was under the impression that I was maintaining an up-to-date copy
>of
>the source code via regular use of cvsup and the example code in the
>ports-supfile.  Can anyone clarify for me?  What would happen if I ignored
>cvsup altogether?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Andrew

When you cvsup the operating system, you get the source code upgrade.
cvsup'ing ports just gets you the updated directory structure and makefiles,
etc., not the updated sources. (As you've seen, it would take a long time to
grab all the distfiles...)

On ignoring cvsup altogether, I'm not sure what would happen. The best
advice I can give is that pkg_version should show you what would get
upgraded or left alone. (After a pkgdb -F...)

Hope that helps you,
Clayton