Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        dannyman@dannyland.org (dannyman)
Cc:        kline@thought.org, opsys@mail.webspan.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

According to dannyman:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 10:47:18AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	I was a writer several lifetimes ago, and altho tech writing
> > 	is nearly beyond me (it ain't easy, folks),  I'd be willing
> > 	to invest time in a *BSD magazine.
>
> Getting a magazine up and running can be real rough.  It seems as if
> Jordan hasn't exactly had a cakewalk with the newsletter either.  A safer
> approach, imho, might be to try something on the web - less capital risk,
> and we could see how things work out first before trying to jump into pulp,
> and attract interested contributors.
>
> Getting people to volunteer to write articles, even if you have an editor
> in place, can be real PITA.

		Pulp or electrons (plus the newslettre).  If webzine
		were well-done, it could be one of the starting
		points.  There need to be several.

		I plan to continue with the ports group and my devel
		app work, and would contribute to any zine.

		Organizing any volunteer effort is a pain; at least
		initially.  Once going, things develop their own
		inertia.   (Like Project Gutenberg.)

		Anybody up for this?

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix