Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 22:27:36 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

> For the love of Christ - I've offered some very real and useful
> things, paying real, commercial designers to help with the
> packaging among. But I'm not going to be the first to say that
> trying to help this group can be like pulling teeth.

I'm also not going to be the first to say that many people who
volunteer to "help" do so with such a loose grasp of what's involved
(or how to approach the issue) that trying to actually take them up on
what appears to be a nice, friendly gesture turns into far more time
and hassle than just doing it yourself would have been.

To use one of the aviation analogies I've recently become so fond of,
I have this feeling like I've got someone in the rear seat bitching
that the guy in the left seat is doing a poor job of flying the
airplane and clearly needs somebody up there who knows what he's
doing, despite the fact that the rear-seater has no proven flying
experience, certification or otherwise any other indication that he's
going to do anything more than fly the aircraft into the side of the
nearest mountain.  But he's loud and strident, so I should just turn
over the control wheel anyway and hope for the best?  I don't think
so.  Give me and everyone else here some indication that you actually
know how to fly, and fly better, and I'll be the first to hop in the
back seat and enjoy the scenery.

> Take my offer and stick it with your attitude. I think I've
> wasted enough time here too.

And this, of course, does not do much to convince me that you're
anything but another peanut-gallery partisan.  Try to do better if
you're actually serious about this.  We've already established a track
record, for better or for worse, and if you want to take this active
of a role in things then understand that I and anyone else in my
position would be a complete and utter fool in not demanding to see
some similar kind of track-record in your case.  You're not just
talking about changing the color of the daemon's tennis shoes, after
all, you're talking about making substantive changes to the boxed
product that Walnut Creek CDROM currently ships (which you and
everyone else should know about already, having hopefully looked at
the freebsdmall before even entering this discussion).

- Jordan