Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:58:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Mike Jeays wrote:
>
> The dilemna I'm looking at (which is solved with Java) is something
> that will safely take credit card info and move it to another machine.
> While it's true that I can get a secure web server and a certificate,
> lets face it.. Someone's smokin dope if they think a new business is
> gonna have the cash and overhead to implement such a thing.  My choices
> were the linux e-commerce thing for $100 (which I almost did but the
> folks at RedHat couldn't seem to send me a copy of the license), going
> illegal and running apache-ssl without the license, getting the license
>  from RSA (at US$10K) or taking the advise of an old professor that had

Stronghold isn't nearly that expensive (I think it's around US$1K now.)
It's basicly a fully licensed Apache with SSL.  http://www.c2.net/
And it's a tax-deductable business expense.  (If you value your time
as low as $25/hr, you'd still need to be able to develop your app in
less than 40 hours to break even; even without counting the tax deduction.)

> a question that we were to always ask ourselves before answering, "Can
> I do it better?".  The only palletable answer was, "Yes, I can do it
> better".  So I wrote a java applet that uses noone's copyrighted,
> patented, pay-me-to-use-it encryption schemes and appears to be secure
> enuf to use.  Right now the only requirement is that Netscape 4.5 be
> used. One day I hope to be able to release it so everyone can benefit.

What encryption schemes does it use?  And what do you do about customers
that might not want to, or might not be able to run Java applets?

Personally, I wouldn't knowingly trust my credit card number to anything
that hadn't been thoroughly reviewed by the crypto wonks...

-Pat