Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:54:19 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP500 deskjet and 4.X

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 07:22:06PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:14:34AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> Huh? I thought you said it *doesn't'* work?
>
> > 		with a simple ASCII file, I haven't tried anything
> > 		fancy-- I'm happy.

	You must've missed my follow-ip mumbled with "stray irq" in
	the Subject line.  Because this seemed excruciatingly like
	an IRQ problem, I checked my dmesg output and found 'stray irq 7'
	on the last line of `dmesg | grep "irq "'... .

	Long-story-short, (at least in my case), the err was (prob'ly)
	due to a bad printer cable connection.  I rebuilt the kernel,
	re-connected the cabling, and everything is happy.

> Well, if you ever want to try something fancy (like printing PS) there's
> some info on setting up WP8 and SO5.1 (using ghostscript) at

	WP8 and ghostscript is set up, tho not retested.  Thanks for the
	SO reference...  that has been on my to-do list for awhile.
	It'll be interesting to see if StarOffice has its own printcap
	entry.

	--The more we can do to make this setup easier, the better.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix